Ever since Facebook arrived in 2004, the internet has witnessed the emergence of a dynamic range of new social media platforms. Within this massive list, the name of Instagram seems to stand out. The platform has garnered a user base of 1 billion and allowed people to share content, develop businesses, and even star petitions. Apart from these, one of the most striking features of the application is its ability to directly message another user.
For small businesses and artists, the direct messaging feature is a blessing as they get to directly connect with their audience and customers. If you want to expand your reach and make proper use of this feature, then here’s a guide on how to send direct messages on Instagram.
How to Send Direct Messages on Instagram
What Exactly Are Instagram Direct Messages (DM)?
In 2013, to make the platform more interactive, Instagram added the ‘Instagram Direct’ feature. This feature allows people to have one on one or group conversations in the form of direct messages (DMs) similar to texting applications like messenger or WhatsApp. Through direct messages, one can not only send texts but also images, videos, voice notes, and other posts on Instagram.
How to Send Direct Messages on the Instagram App
The ‘Instagram Direct’ feature on the smartphone app has been a game-changer in the past few years. The feature has reproduced elements from Snapchat and WhatsApp, giving users the ultimate texting experience.
Download the Instagram application and log in to your account
2. Open the app and tap on the Messenger icon located in the top right corner. This opens up your Instagram Direct page. All messages you send and receive will be reflected on this page.
3. Now, tap on the Compose icon to compose a new direct message.
4. A ‘New Message’ window will open up displaying a list of Instagram users. Select any one of them or search for their profile in the search window.
5. Once you have selected a contact, on the top right corner, tap on the ‘Chat’ option.
6. This will open up a chat window with the selected user, and you can begin sending them direct messages.
Sharing Images, Videos and Posts Through DMs
Apart from messages, you can share posts, images, and videos through Instagram Direct. This feature makes testing a lot more interesting, as the content is constantly shared among users.
1. Find the post in your feed you want to share and tap on the icon resembling an Airplane below it.
2. This will open up a list of Instagram users. Just tap on Send button for the contacts you want to share with. You can also search for the contact in the Search option.
Also Read: How to Hide Instagram Story from everyone except one Person
Sharing Images and Videos
on the bottom left corner, tap on the Camera icon.
2. This will open your camera. Now, either take a picture or tap on the Gallery icon in the bottom left corner.
3. This will open the phone’s Gallery, then select any image that you want to share.
4. Once you take a picture or select one, the Edit page will appear. Here you can limit the number of views on the picture and make various edits to it.
5. Finally, tap on Send to send the image or video.
How to Send Instagram DMs from your Computer
The ability to send direct messages on the PC version of the platform is a relatively new feature that Instagram released in April 2020. The process of sending DMs on your computer is similar to sending them on your smartphone:
2. On the top right corner, you will find a Messenger icon, similar to the one on your phone. Click on it to proceed to the Instagram Direct page.
3. This page will display all the messages you have sent or received. Either select a contact from the list or click on the Compose icon to begin a new message.
Also Read: 3 Ways to Remove Phone Number from Instagram
How to Send DMs to Accounts you do not Follow
Instagram gives users the option to contact accounts that they do not follow. This makes communication within the app much more convenient as you can text users for specific purposes without having to follow them.
1. Open the Instagram application on your smartphone and go to the Profile of the user you want to send a message to.
2. On the top right corner of the page, tap on the three-dot icon to reveal the options.
3. Tap on the option that reads ‘Send Message’ to start a conversation with the user.
Note: Unless the receiver of the message, accepts your invitation to begin a conversation, you will not be able to know, if they have read the message or not.
- How to View Full Size Instagram Photos
- How to Automatically Add Watermark to Photos on Android
- Fix Sorry there was a problem with your request on Instagram
- How to Access Voicemail Messages on Android phone
We hope this guide was helpful and you were able to send Direct Messages on Instagram. If you still have any doubts then feel free to ask them in the comment section.